Triggered by a question in BizTalk Forum, I started researching and testing if really BAM Tool is a requirement to install for EDI/AS2 Runtime functionalities.
I was particularly interested in EDI functionality because I’m advising one of my clients to migrate from BizTalk 2006 R2 to 2010 and I really need to know the basic requirements
So, is BAM Tools a prerequisite for EDI/AS2 Runtime in BizTalk Server 2010?
That depends on the functionalities (features) you want to install, but for me the correct answer is NO.
Considerations for Configuring the BizTalk EDI/AS2 Runtime
BizTalk EDI/AS2 Runtime is divided in 3 functionalities:
- BizTalk EDI Functionality
- BizTalk AS2 Functionality
- BizTalk EDI/AS2 Runtime Status Reporting
When you configure the BizTalk EDI/AS2 Runtime in BizTalk Server 2010, consider the following:
- Enterprise SSO, Group, and BizTalk Runtime must be configured prior to configuring BizTalk EDI/AS2 Runtime.
- BAM must be configured prior to enable the AS2 and/or EDI/AS2 Runtime Status Reporting features.
- If you are only configuring EDI, then BAM is not required.
More info here.
- For the last two functionalities “BizTalk AS2 Functionality” and/or “BizTalk EDI/AS2 Runtime Status Reporting”, BAM Tools must be configured!
- But if you want ONLY EDI functionality you don´t need BAM Tools.
Proof of concept
I create a machine only with SQL installed (no Analysis Services and no Integration Services) and after installed BizTalk with these components:
I opened “Microsoft BizTalk Server Configuration Wizard” and selected “Custom configuration” option:
Note: BAM Tools appears on the right tree, because this is necessary only for AS2 and EDI/AS2 Status Reporting feature.
The next step was to configure the following components:
- Enterprise SSO
- Enterprise SSO Secret Backup
- BizTalk Runtime
- Business Rules Engine
- And BizTalk EDI/AS2 Runtime with only this two options selected:
Leave “BAM Tools” and “Bam Alerts” Disable.
Although the BAM Tools is an optional requirement and even if you don’t use AS2 functionalities, I advise you to install and configure in order to benefit of all EDI functionalities that BizTalk Server 2010 has to offer you.
Tags: BizTalk | EDI | Requirements