In my case this error occurred when I was recovering an old BizTalk Server 2004 development environment:
“The master secret has not been backed up. If you lose the master secret all the information stored in the SSO system will be lost permanently and your systems may fail to work correctly. Please use the SSO admin tools to back up your master secret.”
And this is actually a well know error and that can occurs is all the versions of BizTalk Server and not only in 2004 version and also very easy to solved.
The reason for this error is that the master secret has not yet been backed up. And you need to be very careful because if you lose the master secret all the information stored in the SSO system will be lost permanently and your systems may fail to work correctly.
As I mentioned earlier, this error is extremely easy to solve and for this we only need to:
- On the “Start” menu, click “Run” and type “cmd” to open the Command Prompt.
- At the Command Prompt window, go to the Enterprise Single Sign-On installation directory.
- The default installation directory is “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Enterprise Single Sign-On”
- And type the following command to backup your master secret key:
- ssoconfig -backupsecret <full path to the backup file>
- This command will ask you to provide a password and a reminder as you can see in the picture bellow:
After that you master secret will be backed up and the error will be solved.